Thursday, January 19, 2012

So Many Variables.. First Time to Soap Goat Milk


Yesterday I spent the greater part of the day scanning sites trying to impress upon my brain everything I could learn about making goatmilk soap.  This has not been the first time I've researched it either. I've read an entire book on this subject. I have vacillated back and forth about whether to add goatmilk soap to my line because I wasn't sure if I should stick to vegan raw materials or attempt to compete in both very unique markets.  Potential customers at Christmas shows asking if I had any goatmilk soap finally convinced me to give it a try.  So, it is with trepidation that I embark on this soaping project.  You see, some would suggest that making goatmilk soap is not the daunting task that many profess, but when I read the vast array of opinions on how it's so "easily" done, my brain gets fuzzy.

I used Meyenberg Powdered Milk
First of all, you have to decide whether you want to use fresh, condensed, or powdered goatmilk.  Fresh is supposedly superior, but that claim is usually made by soapers who raise and milk their own goats so I'm thinking there could be a bit of bias in their opinion.  This method requires you freeze the fresh milk into ice cubes and make a slush, very slowly adding it to your lye water, and all the time making sure the temp. doesn't rise leaving you with scalded milk and darker colored soap.  Now, the condensed milk requires dilution though some soapers seem to prefer this method.  I decided to opt for the powdered goat milk.  I simply had to figure out how much water I was using in the recipe and add the amount of powder to equal the proper milk concentration. Instead of adding it to my water and having to anticipate overheating similar to the fresh milk method, I reserved a bit of my oils and mixed them with the powdered milk.  Doing this, I could wait until the soap is almost ready before adding goat milk thus avoiding the immediate overheating issue.

But that's not the only consideration with goat milk soap.  What kind of mold to use seems to be another factor.   Many had trouble with loaf molds; their soap overheated after they poured them and had the dark appearance which apparently is not desired with goatmilk soap.  Many soapers opt to use slab molds which spread out the soap as well as the heat that is contained therein.  Then, there are testimonies of soapers who didn't even get a full gel and used a loaf pan.  Did I mention that a huge numbers of soapers avoid overheating issues altogether by preventing gel?  They stick their mold of soap in the freezer or fridge until saponifcation is a done deal.  But that sometimes presents crumbly soap especially around the edges.  What's a soapmaker to do?  Well, I wanted to make mine in a loaf pan because I am really wanting to cut it with my new crinkly cutter that hubby got me for Christmas.  If I make it in a slab, it will simply have to be scored and cut in bricks.  Decision made on that point. I would gel  and use my loaf mold.

And so last night, I measured out all of my ingredients.  I played around with various essential oil combinations until I finally had one I really liked.  (It was peppermint with equal portions of rosemary, lavender, and star anise) I had already decided this soap would be scented.  For most people, scent is an integral part of which soap to buy. Most people desire a little something more than the scent of natural soap. (though I'm beginning to enjoy it more and more) I decided to add some nettle powder giving it a beautiful green hue.  But this would only be added to a small portion of soap poured on top and slightly swirled.

Goatmilk soap in process
Everything went well this morning.  I prepared my molds and got my solid oils melting.  I soaped and made pretty creamy soap in the pot with my goatmilk/oil sluice.  I then needed to decide whether to insulate or not.  I decided to go ahead with insulating.  when I checked on my soap a bit later, it wasn't very warm to my touch.Perhaps I should have heeded one soapmaker's advice akin to baking gingerbread men. No peeking!   I began to doubt that it would gel, and I really wanted it to gel.  I started to entertain the notion of sticking it in a warm oven to insure gel.  I seemed to recall such advice given on a  forum I had read to someone who only got partial gel.  I Did Not want partial gel.  So I did it.  I put my soap in the oven.  How ironic.  I go from worrying about overheating to worrying about underheating.

My caramel soap in loaf 
How someone feels making goatmilk soap.
The large loaf seemed to get harder but mostly retained its color.  I took it out and placed it back in its towels to nest.  The smaller one (which was also fuller) was softer and so I allowed it to stay in there a few more minutes. When I went back to check on it, it had turned a dark caramel color.  Now, it's hard to say.  Did I induce overheating or the gel process?  Will the larger loaf completely gel?  Maybe I ruined both batches. The first time I peeked and saw gelled soap, it scared me.  It turns translucent and changes colors so it's possible that what I was seeing was gelling progress.  My brain is still fuzzy!   I'll let you know the final results tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment