Friday, January 20, 2012

All Fears Assuaged: I'm Lovin' the Goatmilk Soap


So yesterday I was second guessing my decision to put my first batch of goatmilk soap in the oven to induce gel.  In the end I thought that maybe the larger batch that I had pulled out of the oven first, and that had retained its original color, might be the superior batch.  I really thought I had ruined the smaller batch which had turned caramel-colored in the oven.

Well, after disrobing both batches this morning, I was a bit surprised to find them looking about the same in appearance.  I was certain that the uncolored soap portion in each would be a different color, and I was pretty sure that the caramel-colored batch would turn out darker than the other.

from the larger batch 

from the smaller batch
(the one I thought I had overheated)

 I am  really tickled with this soap.  It looks nice.  I love the green imparted by the nettle leaf powder.  I will definitely use it in the next batch.  However, I will color a larger portion of raw soap green next time for a heightened effect.  I am still uncertain whether I like the layered look with green sandwiched by the warm golden hues of the natural goatmilk soap better than the soap with a green layer on top.  And the smell is addictve! Rosemary Mint is a winner! I kind of wished I had left one of the loafs out of the oven so I could observe whether gelling really was a concern, but then I risked having about 3 lbs of imperfect soap.  I am speculating that because I used the powdered goatmilk, I didn't have the overheating issues found more commonly with fresh milk. Four weeks from now, I get to try this soap firsthand and see how goatmilk soap compares to my vegan soaps.  Poor Me!  I am liking this goatmilk soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment